Thursday, May 29, 2008

LuAnn - you need a history lesson


Today I posted the information below on the blog of LuAnn from the Real Housewives of New York City. (this is my first time responding to her blog) If you watch the show, you have heard this woman claim that her husband's family "gave the Statue of Liberty to the United States" on almost every episode. When I visited the Statue in March, my husband and I went inside the pedestal and read all of the historical information and it never mentioned the de Lessep family. I also thought is was strange that her family just visited the statue for the 1st time (they live in NYC) and it sounded like her kids had never even seen it before. (Her daughter commented on how small it was - which was my comment in 4th grade when I saw it for the 1st time)


This comment is not in response to the LuAnn's above comments. I want to comment on the "Lost Footage" episode that showed the de Lessep family finally visiting the Statue of Liberty. (Which they also say about 100 times their family gave it to the United States) I am from Michigan and have visited the statue 4 times and even climbed into the crown. (and my family did not "gift" it) Also, when you visit the statue there is historical information that says that the French raised the money to build the statue through public fees and a lottery. (The US was in charge of paying for the pedestal) There was even a time when they almost didn't have enough money to finish it. How is this a gift when others (both french and american) paid for it?

No comments: