Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Quandary Peak





Today we (my brother, sister, and sister-in-law) woke up at 5am and climbed Quandary Peak (the East Ridge). I didn't plan on hiking at all in Colorado because I don't really enjoy it ... until my sister talked me into it (and I feel guilty because I have nothing physically wrong to prevent me from hiking) ... and I found a used Camelbak for $20.00, a bladder for the Camelbak, and a hat with UPF. It took us 3 and a half hours to climb up the peak (14,265 feet) and another 2 and a half to come down. At the end, my legs were shaking so badly that I thought I would fall down. (like after running a marathon) And just in case you want to know what a mountain is like at the top (above the tree line) look at photo#23 because it is all rocks. We hiked over little rocks, big rocks, snow covered rocks, muddy rocks, loose rocks....for most of the hike. We crossed snow fields and it hailed! In the end, I am glad that I climbed a 14er, but I have no desire to do it again... I rather read a book on the deck and look out at the mountains.
(photos from 14ers.com) I will post some when I get back to Chicago!






No comments: