Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Book Review



My husband and I went to a taping of the Oprah show before Thanksgiving, but the episode just aired last week. The topic was on creating an action plan with personal finances in 2009. Suze is offering her new book for free here. (you have until midnight on January 15th to download the book) The book is quick to read because you can skip over info that doesn't apply to you.

Here are my notes:

1. I am not going to close my first credit card I opened on my own. (the longer your credit history, the more data they have for your FICO score) Now that I am married, my husband and I have 1 shared credit card, but I am still going to keep my first credit card open.

2. Take your money out of the stock market at least 10 years before you plan to retire

3. Open a Roth IRA (my husband and I started this when we got married) and invest the maximum allowed

4. Buy stocks now, if you can (and always buy low, sell high)

5. Invest 80% in stocks and 20 % in bonds (specifically high-yielding dividend-paying stocks (VYM) (DVY) and 5 year bonds, or Treasury notes) if you want to retire in more than 20 years

No comments: